The Present Simple is usually used to talk about Routine, Habits about the things we USUALLY do, for example:
- I usually wake up at 5 am
- I go jogging about three times a week.
- I usually film my YouTube videos at night.
A common mistake people make is
to use the Present Simple to talk about actions happening in the present, happening NOW.
I guess it’s because of the name of the grammatical structure
Present Simple Tense – a lot of people take the word Present to mean Now.
However, with NOW we usually use the present continuous, or as it is also called Present Progressive. For example:
- I am filming this video now
- You are watching this video now
- Do me a favor, look out the window and tell me: Is it raining?
My native Bulgarian doesn't have Present Continuous, we use the present simple but for me it is very easy to imagine the difference between Usually and Now
Usually and Now are what I call CUEs
Cues are words that are often used with a particular grammatical structure
In my book English Grammar and Functions I explain every grammatical structure using Cues and Functions, it is a very different approach to learning Grammar